Ironman Mont Tremblant

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Happy Birthday Rebecca

Today is my daughter's seventh birthday.  Its hard to believe she seven already.  It just seems like yesterday that she was born. 

In fact, I was supposed to run the Toronto Half Marathon on Sunday October 19th and while I knew Rebecca was supposed to be born on the 20th, I thought what are the chances of her coming due the day of the race?  First born kids are always late right?  So I trained for three months and was supposed to run with Tammy's manager.  Well wouldn't you know it, Sunday morning at 4 am, Tammy's water broke.  We went over to North York General where we found the placed packed with expected mothers.  I think I counted over 20 women waiting to have their babies.  After hanging out there for a couple of hours, the hospital sent us home so we went to the corner of Yonge and Sheppard at 7:30 am and parked our car.  The race started at 8 am so "technically" I could have made the start but that probably wouldn't have gone down too well.  We watched the people race by and even saw Tammy's manager running.  He put two and two together and figured out why I didn't show up. 

We stayed at home until noon and then headed back to the hospital where we waited and waited and waited.  In fact by Monday the next morning, Tammy still hadn't wasn't ready and when were doctor saw her, he asked "what are you still doing pregnant?"  And so after 31 hours of labour and one missed race, Rebecca was born .




Today was my first run since Saturday's painful and sudden ending.  I had skipped Monday's run and so today I took it easy but still ran 1:15.  I felt a slight twinge in my calf and some general aches and pains in my right knee but otherwise it was ok. 

The coach called last night and we talked a bit about my new bike.  Originally he told me that I should move to a tri-bike to increase my speed and run as they are much more aerodynamic.  Last week he offered to sell (unload?) his road bike to me.  He sort of flipped flopped and now I'm not sure what to buy.  He mentioned he has purchased 15 bikes and I should come up and take a look at some of them.  Next week he's getting another 30 bikes and we can go over what the best suited for me.  He will have both road and tri bikes.  With that many bikes, his garage will be full, although he does have a four car garage with only one very dusty and unused Porsche 911.

It seems he's moving into more retail side of this sport.

Oh yea, Tammy wants a bike too...............

No comments:

Post a Comment