Ironman Mont Tremblant

Monday, June 21, 2010

Guelph Report

It was a great day to race as the temperature called for sunny skies with a slight breeze. I switched my triathlon to a swim and bike as although my hammy had healed, I hadn't run in 3 weeks and running 10 km probably wasn't the greatest idea despite how badly I wanted to run. Does that mean I'm actually learning something?

The swim was two loops of 750 metres with a 100 metre run along the beach. Looking back I think that was easier to swim rather than a straight 1,500 metres. The race was a mass start (not waves based on age) which I didn't like as it was pretty crowded as I got punched and kicked. I came out way too fast and think I finished the first leg in about 12 1/2 minutes as I tried to get away from the mass. By the second leg the pack had thinned out and I swam at a much slower pace....way too slow. If I swam the first leg in 12 minutes then that means I swam the second leg in 21 minutes. Brutal. Part of the problem that this was the first open water swim with a wetsuit and I really laboured getting my rhythm under control. I definitely need to practise more open water swims as its completely different than swimming in a pool. Hopefully I can get up to Van Nostrom's pond for their Monday night swims except Rebecca has soccer that night so I'll have to try and figure something out.

The transition was a disaster as when I racked my bike I entered from one way but the run from the water came in a different entrance and I must have wasted at least 90 seconds looking for my bike. So much for blasting through this race.

The race course wasn't too bad but the wind had picked up and heading out of the park was right into the wind and uphill. It took a little while to get my legs but I kept reminding myself I wasn't running so I could push harder. Riding with the wind I was averaging about 45 km/hr on the flats which was great but riding into the wind was a different story. I felt sorry for those who were riding without aero bars.

Clearly there are lessons to be learned from this race.
1. I need to take things more seriously and not get too cocky
2. My transition was a disaster, never mind not being able to find my bike
3. Even though my average speed was 30.4 km/hr, I need to increase my speed
4. Need to build my speed on the swim portion
5. Need to run faster....oh wait I didn't run but I think I would have been hard pressed to match Wasaga's pace at 5:07 per km

Other than that it was a perfect race. Finally met Mike Dunbar and had a little chat with him. Lisa had a good time (even if they couldn't find her results) as she beat last year's time by a good 20 minutes or so.

All in all, it was a good day as it was nice and sunny but not scorching and the kids had fun playing at the park. Thankfully, my brother Don and Barb were there to help out as it can be tough to watch all three kids for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment