Ironman Mont Tremblant

Sunday, January 27, 2013

First Brick Of The Year

Since I tore my calf muscle back in October by running without orthotics, I started running again last week.  I ran three times but only for 20 minutes.  I also checked with Dr Stoddard and he confirmed by ultra sound that my calf has healed.  The first couple of runs were brutal.  I literately was chugging along at a 6:00 min/km pace. 

Yesterday, I planned to do my first brick of the year by riding two hours and then a short run of 30 minutes or so off the bike but once again, power tap issues.  I started riding and the power tap was reading one watt, three watts, five watts and if I really hammered it, twenty watts.  I knew the batteries in the hub were probably dead and unfortunately I don't have the special wrench to take the cap off.  I made an executive decision to end the ride after two minutes and do my long run (all 30 minutes) and strength training.  I changed into my run gear and headed out.  I ran the Rammerville loop, which is somewhat hilly and it took me 37 minutes for about 6.5 km.  Quite brutal.  I usually run it in 32 minutes. 

I called Peter A to see if I could borrow his wrench to change the batteries but he wasn't home.  I called a LBS in Markham and the conversation went like this:
Me:  Hi, can "you" change the batteries in a power tap hub?
LBS:  Well yes, you "could" change the batteries
Me:  Ok (dork), can YOU change the batteries in the hub?
LBS:  Oh sorry we don't have the wrench.  You have to contact our other store in Toronto
Me:  Gee thanks and I hung up on him.  WTF did you think I was asking?

I jumped in the car and headed to another LBS in Toronto.  I had the batteries so they opened the hub up and changed it for me.  No charge

This morning Tammy was going to the gym at 8:10 am so that meant I had to be riding at 5:30 am if I wanted to get everything in.  My trainer has been making a lot of noise and been chewing up my trainer tire.  I've been fiddling around with it and can't seemed to get the correct setting.  If I don't crank the tension, the ride is too easy and I top out in the hardest gear.  If I crank it too tight, then there are flecks of orange pieces of the tire everywhere including on my back.  I'm wondering if my trainer is shot.  I've been mulling over getting a computrainer.  Both Rom and Peter A got one and they love it but for $1,600 new or $1,100 used, it comes down to "do I need it or do I want it?"  A new top end Kinetic trainer would cost about $600.  Crap this sport is expensive.

The ride was pretty uneventful as I'm following my workout schedule from last year but as proof my trainer is screwed, I rode 74 km in two hours.  Yeah I don't think so.  After the ride, I did a complete change of clothes as it was about -5 degree C and I was soaking wet from the ride.  The run went well as I ran at a 5:30 min\km pace but only for 30 minutes.  I don't think I could have held that pace for much longer.

Another thing I've been mulling over was hiring a coach.  Well I think I did ok with NRG last year, I don't think I suffered enough.  This year's race schedule is not set yet but I'm already signed up for the sold out Mont Tremblant 70.3 on June 23rd and thinking about Rev Three in Ohio in September.  That leaves a wide open summer.  Lisa plans to race every Subaru race this summer while, I'll probably do a couple, I won't do every one.  Perhaps, Calgary 70.3 in the end of July as we can combine in into a race/vacation as Tammy has family in Calgary and Saskatoon.  That would leave a half ironman about every 6 weeks.  Do I need a coach to install some hurting or can I just make do with last year's schedule?  Obviously I won't be doing six hour rides this summer

Weight wise, its a disaster.


1 comment:

  1. I am happy to hear that your calf muscle is better. I met a running coach a couple years ago and told him I was running with orthotics because of PF and he told me to remove it and recommended a different running shoe. It worked like magic and I have never looked back.

    ReplyDelete