Ironman Mont Tremblant

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Help, I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up!

Out of the blue, my foot started swelling up yesterday.  Clearly its the same problem I've been having and why it swells, I have no idea.  I've been to three doctors, had x-ray and bone scans done but no one can figure it out.  ARRGGGUHHHHH!  Mont Tremblant is only 38 days away.  Luckily, I have lots of anti-inflam pills left over from the last episode.  Let's hope the pain goes away and stays away.

So instead of doing today's schedule workout which was a weird ride the trainer for 30 minutes and then run outside/ride trainer/run outside/ride trainer/run outside etc, I opted just to do a 100 minute ride outside.  As we move further away from the longest day of the year (June 21st), the sun is rising later and later.  I left the house just after 5:30 am and while the sun wasn't up yet, it was light enough to ride.  The plan was just to ride straight north and hit some nasty hills 45 minutes away.  As I approached a stoplight, I slowed down and looked to see if I could just blow through the intersection but there were cars coming.  I tried to unclip my left foot but I didn't tighten the strap very much because of my swollen foot.  I tried to turn my shoe to unclip but my foot just turned in my shoe and TIIIMMMMMBBBBBEEEERRRR.  I fell over with a thud.  I'm sure the people in the car beside me had a good early morning laugh.  This was the first time I've fallen over and I swore it would happen to others but not me.  Welcome to the club

A I rode north, I stopped to snap this nice picture of the sun coming up.


One of the things I like about where I live, I only have to ride two kilometers north and I'm in farm country. 

After riding north for 45 minutes, I hit the hills which are part of the same terrain as the twin peaks except they are one road over.  I ended up riding 12 hill repeats and really struggled on the last hill and just to make things more interesting, I didn't use it in the easiest gear.  It sure beats riding the trainer for 90 minutes in my basement.

This is an easier week than last week.  Only 17.5 hours but I already skipped Monday's workout.  I was so tired from Sundays 6 hour ride and 40 minute run, there was no way I could ride Monday morning and in fact I actually slept in. 

1 comment:

  1. I went over on my bike like that once and I got scraped up pretty good. I have had a couple close calls too where I just caught myself in time.

    Being on a trainer is mind numbing... but, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete