Ironman Mont Tremblant

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Nutrition and Core!

I think I need to do more core exercises as today was another Brick workout consisting of a good 75 minute ride followed by a 60 minute run. My lower back was sore throughout the run however it could have been the result of my new aero bars that my sister in law was kind enough to let me borrow. I wonder if she even noticed they were gone as Paul took them off her "back up" bike. They are better than the ones that I was using (Paul's old set) as I found I was more stable and not weaving all over the road with every pedal stroke which could be a problem in a race.

I started my run feeling very stiff and sore and hungry. Clearly I didn't eat enough before I started this morning as I had a PBJ (peanut butter and jam - well fake peanut butter as Jake is allergic to nuts) before I headed out at 5:45 am. I drank a bottle of amino vital during the ride while and one gel shot during the run. By the time I finished, I was totally starving and was feeling weak and shaky (did playing ice hockey Friday afternoon have anything to do with it?). According to my heart rate monitor, I burned 1,516 calories but I think I ate a good 900 calories for breakfast. I need to get this nutrition thing down. For my Brick work outs last year (60 minute ride and 35 minute run), I could go out on an empty stomach and take one gel shot but throughout the day I was totally starving. I felt like the Tazmanian Devil and usually wolfed down all my lunch and snacks by 11:30 am and still be hungry. Given this year's Brick workout, I need to eat more before heading out.

Overall, today's work out was ok as I tried to push harder on the bike and keep my heart rate at a consistent zone 3 while my run wasn't as strong as it could be, I'm not too worried as I'm only suppose to be running at a zone 2. Interesting when I started the run, I was going at a painful 6:05 min/km pace but I finished at a easy 5:30 pace. Talk about a negative split. I rode about 35 km and ran 10.5 km in 2 hours and 20 minutes which is pretty much an Olympic distance race.

I cut Thursday's run short as I was supposed to go out for 55 minutes but it started to pour and the wind picked up quite nasty. I was freezing cold and totally drenched so as I ran by my house, I packed it in after only 53 minutes. I felt guilty.

For both Thursday and Saturday's runs, my knee has been ok with just minor aches and pains. No massive sharp, stabbing bouts of pain....yet. Could it be that the exercises prescribed actually work????

Now about my shoulder which has begun to ache after swimming.............again.







No comments:

Post a Comment