Ironman Mont Tremblant

Friday, September 24, 2010

Ok, One Oink

It seems my weight is drifting back down to race weight.  I'm not quite sure why the spike up seeing that I've tried to be more aware of my consumption (tried is the operative word).   Usually when I have a sudden gain of 3-4 pounds its because I ate something salty (like chips).  For some reason, I retain water like a chick and my weight jumps but usually settles down after 3 or 4 days however I'm still about my race weight (168 pounds). 

Things are prodding along.  I went swimming today up in Stouffville.  Its a bit of a hike but at least the pool is open at 6 am.  The pool I usually go is closed until October 1st for maintenance.  I'm not quite sure what kind of maintenance takes 30 days but what do I know about pools? 

The pool in Stouffville is really nice as are the lifeguards.  They leave you alone unlike one of the lifeguards in Markham.  He was constantly kicking people out of lanes if they are swimming too fast or insisting you swim in a circle even if you're in a lane by yourself.  Control freak.  Hopefully he won't be back when the pool opens although at some point I'll switch over to Masters swimming with the Markham Mallards.  I find swimming lap after lap to be very boring and with the Masters, they offer drills and coaching.  That said, its much more expensive than public swimming.

Speaking of expenses, I was talking to coach a couple of days ago and we talked about upgrading my road bike to a tri bike.  He was thinking of getting me an used tri bike but when I told him I might be willing to spend double the price range he was looking for, he got pretty happy.  He has a bike in mind but will be more than what I was willing to spend.   I'm not sure I'm worthy of such a bike. The last thing I want to do is having a very expensive bike but being a terrible rider.  I do believe the term is called "poseur."  More details to follow but it could get ugly really quickly.   "Sorry kids, we can't go on that Disney Cruise in January because daddy needs a new bike".

When we were at Deerhurst, we met an American named Stan.  He had entered to race 70.3 but crashed and broke his arm.  Seeing that everything was already booked, he came up anyways to cheer on the other racers.  He took this shot as I ran up to transition.


Ok I know the camera adds 10 pounds but I think I need to lose 20 pounds.  I just came back from a two hour lunch....that didn't help.


No comments:

Post a Comment