Ironman Mont Tremblant

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Uh-Oh

Coach called me a couple of days ago and the conversation went something like this:

Coach:  How are you feeling?  Any injuries or anything?
Me:  Nope, I'm ok
Coach:  Wow, this is the longest you've been injury free (ten months)
Me:  Gee thanks

So this morning, I'm on my long run (all 1:30 hours) and I've been running for 1:27 when I feel this incredibly sharp pain in my lower calf.  Its so painful, I can't take another step.  I've never had an injury in that spot before but after a couple of minutes the pain subsides and I limp home.  WTF???  Where did this injury come from?  Probably because I haven't been doing any strength training.  Unbelievable!!!  Better call Kevin

The coach also had another reason for calling.  He is selling his Jamis road bike which he built this summer and offered it to me.  Apparently another athlete put a $400 deposit on the bike but lost his job and couldn't buy it so coach kept his deposit (nice) and offered to apply it to lower my price.  I'm leaning towards getting a tri-bike so I'm not sure why he's offering me another road bike although it is significantly better than my current road bike.  I emailed four other triathletes (between them they've completed 14 ironmans) for their opinion and all replied go for the tri-bike especially seeing that I plan to do an ironman (or two, or three, or....)

Now the problem is that I have no idea about bikes and when I walk into a bike store, I feel like I have "CHUMP" stamped on my forehead so Scobie offered to check out some bike stores after he gets back from Silverman http://www.silvermannv.com/ in November.  This is probably one of the toughest ironman course in North America and home to the 2011 ITU Long Course World Championship.  I asked Scobie what I could get for about $500 and he said something pink with streamers from the handlebar.

Sweet.  Now where can I put my water bottle holders?
Huffy Disney Princess 16 inch Girls Bicycle -  Huffy Bicycles - Toys"R"Us
More to come on the hunt for a new bike to which I swore I would never upgrade

  

1 comment:

  1. I saw at IMC in 2004 a dude riding a Pee Wee Hermin style bike. Nearly died laughing...

    ReplyDelete