Ironman Mont Tremblant

Friday, August 29, 2014

Ironman Mont Tremblant...Part Duh - After Thoughts

As I crossed the finish line, I was bitterly disappointed.  Goal number one was to beat 2012's time of 12:57:15 and goal number two was to beat my brother's IMLP time of 12:51 (yea I know, it a different course).   Paul S later texted to say that both he and Cathy watched me cross the finish line on Ironman Live and I should smile.  I couldn't.  I was too pissed.  I just wanted to finish.

I had no desire to hang around the finishing area.  I headed back to the hotel with the family and cleaned up while they passed out from the day's event.  I toyed with the idea of going to the finish line party but couldn't find my pants and only did a cursory look around the room.  I could clearly hear the music and Mike Rielly and at midnight, I could hear the fireworks.  By 12:15 am, I shut off the lights and went to bed.

Well how bad was this race?

                              2012                                                     2014

Swim              1:16:23 (197/320)                            1:14:32 (102/307)
T1                   11:51                                                9:24
Bike                6:19:43* (234/320)                          6:35:14* (170/307)
T2                   4:50                                                  3:50                                    
Run                 5:04:28 (209/320)                            5:09:29 (189/307)

Total               12:57:15 (209/320)                          13:12:29 (189/307)

* four minute penalty

I think the weather did play a big role.  It was much cooler and windier than 2012.  Coming down the hill on Highway 117, in 2012 I hit 75 km/hr.  This year I hit 66 km/hr on the first loop and 56 km/hr on the second loop.  The headwind played a big role in why I was so tired after the second loop on the bike.  One thing I've learned is that it takes a lot of things to be right, to have a successful race.

So what's next?  Well I signed up for Lakeside Olympic for September and decided to run the Scotia Marathon in October for redemption.

Next year, I'll do another Ironman as I move to a new group but everyone I train with is done with Ironman.  Might be a bit lonely training by myself.   I haven't decided what race to do but have booked a room at Deerhurst for Ironman Muskoka.  Ironman Canada looks interesting but a tough course.  Tammy's niece is supposed to be getting married next year one week after IMC in Saskatoon so I could race IMC and then drive to Saskatoon or we can reload for Mont Tremblant but it will be sell out very soon.

Time will tell.  I'm not done just yet

2 comments:

  1. I think you did great, Peter, despite the time difference from 2012. It was a REALLY tough day weather wise...one of the toughest I can recall for IM participation or spectating.

    For what it's worth, I tended to train alone all the time. I find it more efficient and easier to work around the schedule. No waiting for anyone or people waiting for me, no travel time, social afterwards, etc. When you are pressed for time, solo works. If not, being social is great.

    Would love to see you at IMMT again. We can trade training notes throughout the year. And it would give me motivation to be within 2 hours of your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Peter! I know that it wasn't the perfect race, but it rarely is, especially when it comes to Ironman races. Just finishing an IM, regardless of your time, is a big accomplishment, in my opinion, especially when you gave it your best.

    Myself, I overbiked the first loop (32.7Km/h) because I did not have a HR monitor & I felt super excited and then I paid the price on the second loop (27.x km/h). I was 99% sure that I was going to walk the marathon, as my legs felt really tired. By some unexplained miracle, once I started running, my legs felt better and better and I had a much better run than I expected.
    By my estimates, I should have been 30-40 minutes faster, had I biked slower on the first loop. But on the other hand I could have been 2 hours slower, considering how crappy I felt on the bike.

    I was planning to do Scotia Marathon, too, as I've never done this race before but then I qualified to Chicago marathon so I'm doing this race in October instead.

    Good luck at Lakeside!

    ReplyDelete