Ironman Mont Tremblant

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Year In Review

Well 2011 certainly didn't go down as I planned.  Although I was rather pleased with the results of my running races, the triathlon season was pretty much a write off because of a stress fracture from the Toronto Marathon.

The race season was supposed to be as followed:

Chilly Half Marathon
Around The Bay (30 km)
Sporting Life 10 km
Toronto Good Life Marathon
Muskoka Long Course
Peterborough Half Iron
Calgary 70.3
Muskoka 70.3

So how did the race season go?

Chilly Half Marathon
I missed a PB by seconds despite rolling my ankle three times during the race.

Around The Bay 
A race which is older than the Boston marathon and one I've wanted to run for a long time.  I've trained three times for this race but only run it once due to injuries.  Oh yeah and I beat John P.

Sporting Life 10 km
DNS

The Toronto marathon.
My first marathon.  It was a crappy day and rained a lot and I could barely walk after the race. As it turned out I got a stress fracture on my lower shin.  That pretty much eliminated most of the triathlon races for the summer.

Muskoka Long Course
DNS

Peterborough Half Iron
This race turned into an Aqua\Bike as I still couldn't run.  I decided to give everyone a 25 minute head start on the swim as I stood on the shore watching the athletes come out of the water for the end of the first lap.  Only then did it dawn on me that it was a mass start.  Doh.  Also, it was smoking hot and had nutrition issues on the bike.

Calgary 70.3
DNS.  Although I was in Calgary during the race, I could barely run.  My long run was up to about 5 km.  The race would have been painful to finish (literally and figuratively)

Muskoka 70.3
A major disappointment as I was one minute slower than last year.  I thought with riding my new tri bike and power tap all summer, I would have seen an improvement

Tammy did a couple of Duathlons.  Guelph and Orillia - Kids of Steel and -Duathlon.html. The kids did the Kids Of Steel triathlon and it was a lot of fun on the Saturday and Tammy did the Duathlon the next day.

Looking Ahead To 2012
Well first thing is to look for a new coach.  I need to make a decision rather soon while i am still training it will be time to ramp it up.  On Friday morning I rode for 2:45 using my new riding shorts I bought on Boxing Day.  Tammy had given me an action DVD so I watched the first two movies.  The first one was dumb as it was about a small town cop discovering evidence about the Kennedy assassination and cover up.  The next movie was with Dolph Lundgren which I've never heard of and for good reason.  It was just brutal but it helped kill the time.

With Ironman Mont Tremblant looming in only 231 days, 2012 will be filled with lots of hard and long days.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2012!

1 comment:

  1. You beat me.... the killer is you probably passed me in the last 1000 meters for that win. When I was sloggin' it due to dehydration, toatlly my fault too. Uggghhh! Congrats. Eat me.

    Overall a good season even with the injury. Very respectable, don't be hard on yourself!

    I love that Tammy and the kids got involed, that's the biggest reward ever!

    Tremblant is very fast approaching. It's crunch time now - full on, no excuse training program should have started right this very second. 8 months to go and technically much less due to taper!

    Find that coach!!

    ReplyDelete