Ironman Mont Tremblant

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thirty Days To Go!






Its hard to believe that there is only 30 days until Ironman Mont Tremblant.  Where did time go?  It seemed like only yesterday (Jan 16th) when I signed up with NRG and started a formal training plan.

As we head into the last long ride this Saturday (6 hours) and the last long run on Sunday (2 hours) - the longest I've run this year, I realized that I'm trying to cramp for a marathon.  At the NRG Mont Tremblant training camp on June 14th, I couldn't run more than 15 minutes without my foot swelling up.  Next week is a recovery week and "only" 10 hours and then after that, the tapering begins.

I've enjoyed this training and while the 6 hour rides are beginning to get tiring, I can see that I am not an "One And Done" Ironman (assuming I finish IMMT).  I've already warned Tammy that while I'll probably take next year off and do a couple of Half Ironmans, I have my eye set on Ironman Canada in 2014.

So in terms of readiness, I think I'm ready.  I am a little worried about the swim as during Masters swim in the winter, we were only swimming 2,000 meters but coach has ramped up the number of swims and the distance of 3,000 to 4,000 meters.  Swimming with a wet suit might be a problem but its very tough to do any open water swims as either the weather has been crappy (ie raining the day before) or no one is around.  If I can get one or two open water swims, I think I'll be ok.

Also my bike needs a final tune up and I think I need some of the back cogs chained as the gears keep slipping.  Not a good thing in a race

Taper beckons and the end is in sight

No comments:

Post a Comment